Residents at a Murray Mallee aged care facility have been confirmed as having salmonella. Eleven residents were recently confirmed as having gastro-enteritis and after investigations by the Department of Health some of these people were confirmed as having contracted salmonella.
Department of Health Communicable Control Branch acting director Jane Raupach said the exact number of salmonella cases and the name of the facility could not yet be released. Nothing had been identified as a common exposure point which may have caused the symptoms.
She said the department recommended preventative hand washing in any case of salmonella and staff at the facility were under no direct threat.
Investigations are almost complete and the case is now being analysed by the Communicable Control Branch.