Investigations are continuing into the source of a recent salmonella outbreak at a west Cumbrian hotel. 98-year-old Jessie Hewitson from Carlisle died, and another ended up in intensive care after contracting salmonella more than a month ago.
It is believed the food-poisoning outbreak was linked to a tiramisu dessert served at Hundith Hill Hotel, near Cockermouth, on July 2. A total of 16 people reported salmonella symptoms. Fourteen tested positive.
Allerdale council’s environmental health team, together with the Health Protection Agency, are now investigating the source of the outbreak.
Over 50 people who ate at the hotel have been interviewed as part of the investigation and the dessert in question has been discontinued. Health experts say there is no longer any risk.