Most people have heard about the national recall of bagged spinach. But what they may not know is that the FDA issues recall notices continually.
Salem Health Director JoAnn Scott says her office gets 10 to 15 recall notices a month. The same notices are also sent to large supermarkets. But what happens after that is anyone’s guess. Scott says local health departments do not have the staff or the resources to follow up and check if products have been removed from the shelves. And it’s up to the store or company that makes or distributes a product to decide how far they want to go to make sure a recall is enforced.
For instance, the following is a small sampling of recalls over the past couple weeks:
- Wise Foods recalled of all sizes of Nacho Tortilla chips because the product may contain soy as an ingredient component. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to soy run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reactions if they consume these products.
- Raw Indulgence announced a nationwide recall of raspberry and chocolate Raw Revolution Organic Live Food Bars because they may contain metal fragments.
- Lakeside Foods recalled 7,500 packages of frozen 14 ounce Kroger Stir Fry Vegetables because they may contain undeclared egg noodles, which contain both wheat or egg ingredients. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to wheat or eggs run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product.
- Monterey Mushrooms recalled approximately 10,000 cases of fresh sliced white mushrooms because they due to Listeria monocytogenes.
- Kinney Drugs recalled all sizes of Kinney brand water due to bromate levels that exceed the FDA standard.
- Good Karma Food Technologies, Inc. of Glendale, Calif., is recalling Good Karma Organic Rice Cream Mudd Pie, Good Karma Organic Rice Cream Mint Chocolate Chip and Good Karma Organic Rice Cream Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge, all lot codes, because they may contain undeclared milk proteins. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
- Meadow Gold Dairies recalled all cartons of Meadow Gold Hook’d on Chocolate ice cream because the product contains egg, which is not listed on the label. Individuals with allergies to eggs run the risk of a serious or life threatening reaction if they consume this product.
- Fullei Fresh Expands recalled Fullei Fresh brand cartons of alfalfa sprouts because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.