Small children are among more than 100 West Australians who have fallen ill with Salmonella poisoning after eating sprouts sold in supermarkets.

Contaminated alfalfa sprouts, mung beans, bean shoots and other sprout products by Parilla Fresh have been sold in Action, Coles and Woolworths supermarkets since Nov 2005, resulting in 110 reported cases of food poisoning.

A Health Department investigation led to the sprout products being pulled from supermarket shelves on Fri, 17 Feb 2006. The department believes animal waste is a likely reason for Salmonella in the sprouts, which were germinated in South Australia.