The United Kingdom is warning its consumers about salmonella in ready-to-eat herbs.  According to the Mail Online:


In a study of packets of fresh herbs Government scientists found the food poisoning bug in dangerous levels in a small proportion of packets.

Fresh basil grown in Israel is thought to have been the cause of 32 cases of an unusual strain of salmonella in England and Wales last year, the researchers said.

The Health Protection Agency and Local Authorities Co-ordinators of Regulatory Services sampled 3,760 packets of herbs between May and October last year and found a small proportion to be contaminated with unsafe levels of salmonella senftenberg.

As a result of the study, consumers in England are being advised to carefully wash all ready to eat herbs. For more, go here.