A man who claims he suffered from salmonella poisoning after dining at an East Alton restaurant in May is seeking in excess of $100,000 for his illness which required hospitalization.

Michael Butkovich claims he became extremely ill after eating at Casa Romero on May 23. According to Butkovich’s complaint, he required intravenous fluids during a four-day hospitalization for vomiting and diarrhea, and cardiac procedures also were performed during his hospital stay because he experienced chest pains.

The Madison County Health Department reported 22 confirmed cases of salmonella had been linked to the Casa Romero.

Butkovich claims Casa Romero was negligent by failing to thoroughly cook its meat, keep work areas clean and properly train employees in basic food safety. He also claims the restaurant failed to train employees to wash their hands after using the restroom and after handling raw animal products. He alleges that the restaurant failed to properly wash all cooking utensils and cookware after coming into contact with raw animal products.