The Honolulu Advertiser reported over the weekend that health officials in Hawaii have confirmed an additional case of illness on the island of O’ahu caused by Salmonella Paratyphi B.   The person who became sick ate raw ahi poke after purchasing it from a local market.  Name of the market was not disclosed.   The Advertiser reported that:

The DOH has notified the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about this new case and the FDA is conducting a product trace back to determine the source of the Salmonella contamination.

"The Department of Health is concerned about these continuing cases and with the help of the FDA we hope to identify the source so we can prevent any further illness," said Dr. Paul Effler, state epidemiologist

Since October 2007, the DOH has identified a total of 34 confirmed cases of Salmonella Paratyphi B infection on O’ahu. An exhaustive investigation by the DOH identified raw imported frozen ahi used in ahi poke as a possible source of illness. Confirmation of additional cases in Colorado and California related to the consumption of raw fish has prompted an investigation by the U.S. FDA.

Go here to find the Advertiser story.  Health officials are advising anyone whose recently been on the islands and who experiences diarrhea accompanied by abdominal cramps and fever to seek immediate medical attention.