An elderly woman has died and 11 other people have fallen ill after a salmonella outbreak linked to a hotel in the Lake District. The 98-year-old victim was one of a number of customers who ate Sunday lunch at the Hundith Hill Hotel near Cockermouth.
It is believed they all ate a tiramisu desert and the incident has led to health experts issuing a warning to caterers to be careful when using raw eggs. Tests have shown the illness was caused by salmonella entritidis.
The 98-year-old woman from Keswick died after being taken to Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle. She was found to be suffering from salmonella, although an exact cause of death has yet to be established.
The case is being investigated by Allerdale Council, although the Hundith Hill Hotel has been allowed to continue trading since the outbreak.