A lawsuit was filed today against Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., the company whose Greenwood, Indiana, store was the source of a Salmonella outbreak. The lawsuit was filed in Johnson County Superior Court on behalf of a Greenwood resident whose son became violently ill and was hospitalized after consuming foods purchased at the Wal-Mart deli. The lawsuit was filed by Marler Clark, a Seattle-based law firm that has represented hundreds of victims of Salmonella outbreaks.
The complaint alleges that Mr. Merritt purchased ham and cheese from the Wal-Mart deli. Mr. Merritt’s son, Noah, consumed the ham and cheese in the subsequent days and became ill; Noah’s symptoms became severe, and he was seen in the Emergency Room at St. Francis Hospital in Indianapolis. Noah was subsequently admitted to the hospital; while hospitalized, Noah provided a stool sample that tested positive for Salmonella.
“The Indiana State Health Department reported that at least 84 customers who ate foods from the deli and bakery departments at Wal-Mart from May to August were part of this Salmonella outbreak,” said William Marler, attorney for Mr. Merritt. “We’ve seen this before and will see it again,” Marler continued. “Businesses who fail to enforce strict handwashing policies will continue to be the source of outbreaks, and will be held responsible for their failures through the legal system.”