Health officials hope to announce the source of the largest salmonella outbreak in recent South Carolina history this week. Lab workers should determine which food was contaminated with the bacteria.
58-year-old James Alredge of Lugoff died from complications related to the salmonella poisoning. 51 people were hospitalized and 293 patrons reported symptoms after eating at the Camden buffet Old South Restaurant between May 19th and May 22nd.
There have been two salmonella-related deaths in South Carolina since 1998; one in 2001 in Chesterfield County and one in Georgetown County in 2003. The largest food borne illness outbreak in recent years in South Carolina occurred in 1996 in Greenville County which left 244 people ill. No deaths were reported.