A salmonella outbreak that has left more than 900 people ill across Spain and killed one man is expected to recede this week after a batch of contaminated chicken was withdrawn from sale.
The Health Ministry said 921 people have contracted gastroenteritis after eating the Sada company’s roast chickens. Health authorities in the Valencia region confirmed Wednesday that a 90-year-old man died from salmonella infection.
On Wednesday, 141 people were receiving treatment. Most of those taken ill have been hospitalized only briefly, the Health Ministry said.
The contamination seems to have originated in a pipe at its plant near Toledo, south of Madrid, that poured sauce onto the meat before packing.
Spain’s Consumer Federation said some 80 people already have contacted it with a view to seeking compensation.