A customer left seriously disabled after contracting food poisoning from eating a kebab is suing a restaurant owner for more than £300,000.

Jubeyar Chowdhury, 50, had a severe case of salmonella after eating at the A1 Kebabish restaurant in Manor Park, east London, and later developed a rare neurological complication. Mr Chowdhury, who is now unable to work because of his illness, was among 160 people affected in the salmonella outbreak in February last year.

A1 Kebabish was closed down by environmental health officers after the salmonella outbreak which led to at least 60 people suffering food poisoning. Several were admitted to hospitals.

The restaurant has reopened less than three weeks later, after adopting the recommendations of the North East London Health Protection Unit, and is now under new management after being sold.