More than 70 children who ate dinner at a Gastonia restaurant Friday night showed symptoms consistent with salmonella, and two were admitted to a hospital for dehydration. Eight children have tested positive for salmonella so far, but numerous lab results are pending.
A group of mostly fifth-graders from various Gaston County elementary schools ate dinner Friday night at City Club of Gastonia. They were taking an etiquette class as part of the Junior Assembly of Gastonia program, which teaches etiquette, manners and dance to children in fifth through eighth grades in schools around the region.
Most children ate chicken, salad with ranch dressing, green beans, rolls, chocolate cake, tea and water.
Assistant Health Director Chris Dobbins stressed that health officials haven’t found the source of the outbreak.