Officials at one Beaver County school say they don’t think any students have salmonella poisoning, even though 20 fourth-graders were sent home Tuesday after eating undercooked chicken. The students at New Brighton Elementary School all ate chicken cooked on the same tray.

Superintendent John Osheka said the students complained of being ill, but he said salmonella is unlikely because symptoms generally take at least 12 hours to show up – although in this case, the students got sick almost immediately.

Osheka said some students likely got sick, in part, because they noticed the chicken was undercooked and then saw that some other students were getting sick, too. The school district sent a letter home to parents, however, describing salmonella symptoms as a precaution.