Header graphic for print
Salmonella Blog Surveillance & Analysis on Salmonella News & Outbreaks

Takeaway owner guilty over salmonella outbreak Infected food sold at kebab house

Infected food and poor hygiene at a West Yorkshire kebab house led to the biggest outbreak of food poisoning of its type in Britain in 10 years, magistrates heard yesterday.

More than 300 people were struck down by a virulent form of salmonella found in food at the Shimla Kebab House in Great Horton, Bradford, in November 2003. 340 people were struck down by severe vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pains and at least 60 received hospital treatment.

Javid Qadir, 33, from Bradford, who owned the takeaway at the time, pleaded guilty to 14 charges of supplying food unfit for human consumption due to salmonella infection and 14 breaches of food hygiene regulations relating to conditions on the premises.

The restaurant was closed down following the outbreak and had since been reopened under new management.