After the Plainview Milk Products Cooperative, located in Plainview, MN, discovered salmonella contamination on its equipment, it asked on June 29th that the ingredients its sold over the past two years to others– instant nonfat dried milk, whey protein, fruit stabilizers and gums (thickening agents)–be recalled.
The third ingredient recall of 2009 is now growing rapidly. The Milk Coop did not sell anything to the general public. "The company sells these products to other industry customers, including distributors and manufacturers, who may have incorporated them into their own products, says the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), which is maintaining a database of all products being recalled by customers of the Milk Coop.
That database is showing 202 products recalled as of today. The FDA database is the best place to go for specific product information, including code and lot numbers that you will be to make sure you do not have any potentially contaminated product in your pantry.
Here’s a quick run-down on all the Milk Coop related recalls that have come in during the first nine days of July.
- Landover, MD-based Giant Foods recalled Giant Nonfat Dried Milk in 9.6-ounce size.
- The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company recalled its Non Fat Dried Milk products in 16 and 32-ounce sizes.
- Robert St.John recalled its Rich, Rich Hot Chocolate Mix in 13-ounce plastic bags packaged inside metal tin cans.
- Meijer Brand Instant Nonfat Dry Milk sold in Meijer Stores in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky was recalled.
- McClancy Seasoning recalled Alba Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk (25.6 oz), Alba Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk (9.6 oz), Alba Creamy Milk Chocolate Snack Shake Mix (6 oz), Alba Double Fudge Royale Snack Shake Mix (6 oz), Alba Smooth Vanilla Bean Snack Shake Mix (6 oz) and Alba Strawberry Banana Snack Shake Mix (6 oz).
- Precision Foods Inc., of St. Louis, Missouri, recalled certain Madagascar Vanilla cocoa. It is labeled as Land O Lakes International Drinking Cocoa “Madagascar Vanilla”.
- NOW Foods recalled a dozen of its NOW Foods products containing whey protein concentrate.
- CPI Foods, Inc Dallas, TX recalled approximately 15,000 packets of non-fat dry milk
- Max Muscle Sports Nutrition recalled Max Muscle products containing whey protein concentrate due to potential Salmonella contamination.
- Malt-O-Meal Company recalled “Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal” and “Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal” packets sold in “Variety” cartons.
- Trans-Packers Services Corp. of Brooklyn, NY, is recalled approximately 6,300 packets of Dairy Shake blends
- Traditions Meal Solutions recalled approximately 104,500 packets of 25-gram non-fat dry milk packets.
- Vital Pharmaceuticals Inc. of Davie, Fl recalled 17 lots of the powdered dietary supplement, Stealth Chocolate and Stealth Vanilla,
- C. F. Sauer Company, of Richmond, VA recalled brown gravy, brown gravy with mushrooms, brown gravy with onions, turkey gravy, pork gravy, country sausage gravy, country style gravy, Alfredo sauce mix, Cajun gumbo mix, and Hollandaise sauce mix produced under the Sauer’s, Gold Medal, and Piggly Wiggly labels because they contain instant non-fat dry that was milk manufactured by the Plainview Milk Products Cooperative.
- Westport, CT-baded Lewis Laboratories International, Ltd. is recalled Weigh Down Chocolate Flavor Nutrition Drink Mix
Meanwhile, back in Plainview, MN, the Milk Coop says: it "is presently in the process of disassembling all equipment in question for cleaning and is taking other precautionary measures such as the use of anti-microbial surface coatings in order to ensure environmental safety."