Header graphic for print
Salmonella Blog Surveillance & Analysis on Salmonella News & Outbreaks

Aunt Jemima Recalls Big Boxes Due to Salmonella

Some two and five pound boxes of Aunt Jemima Pancake & Waffle Mix are being recalled by the Quaker Oats Co.    Aunt Jemima Pancake & Waffle Mix: Original, Original Complete and Buttermilk Complete  may have potential salmonella contamination.

No illnesses have been reported, and Quaker says 98 percent of the products being recalled are within its own distribution chain and will likely be found and returned.  So, let’s help them find the other 2 percent.

The products, sold in 2 pound and 5 pound boxes with Best Before dates of FEB 08 09 H through FEB 16 09 H stamped on the top, contain the following UPC codes:

30000 43272: Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Complete, 5 lb.
30000 05040: Aunt Jemima Original, 2 lb.
30000 05070: Aunt Jemima Original Complete, 2 lb.
30000 05300: Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Complete, 2 lb.

Salmonella is a food borne illness that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.

Finally, is anyone but us surprised that Aunt Jemima remains as a brand name?

The FDA-issued copy of the company’s press release can be found here.