Salmonella contamination at a meat plant caused nearly 600 people across Spain to fall ill, the government said Tuesday. 579 people contracted severe diarrhea after eating the Sada company’s roast chickens. While most were hospitalized for only a few hours, the ministry said the death of a 90-year-old man in the eastern Valencia region was suspected to be linked to the contaminated meat.
Sada says the contamination originated in a pipe at its plant near Toledo, south of Madrid, that poured sauce onto the meat before packing.
The product has been withdrawn from sale.