A Marion, Wisconsin resident filed a lawsuit against ConAgra, the manufacturer of Banquet pot pies, today. The lawsuit is one of seven filed by Seattle-based Marler Clark on behalf of victims of a nationwide outbreak of Salmonella infections traced to the pot pies.
A man who says he became violently ill after eating a Banquet pot pie has filed a federal lawsuit against ConAgra, claiming the manufacturer was negligent in its duty to provide safe food.
The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, seeks at least $75,000 in damages.
According to the lawsuit, 30-year-old Eric J. Mand of Malone in Fond du Lac County bought at least one ConAgra Banquet pot pie in mid-September. A few days after eating one, he became so sick with severe gastrointestinal symptoms that he required hospital care on two separate days, the lawsuit said.
The number of illnesses traced back to the consumption of ConAgra pot pies had risen to 272 by October 29, 2007, the day of the CDC’s final regular update on the outbreak. At that time, CDC had identified cases in Arizona (1), Arkansas (4), California (18), Colorado (9), Connecticut (7), Delaware (5), Florida (2), Georgia (2), Idaho (11), Illinois (7), Indiana (3), Iowa (1), Kansas (4), Kentucky (9), Massachusetts (7), Maryland (7), Maine (2), Michigan (3), Minnesota (7), Missouri (18), Montana (6), Nevada (6), New York (10), North Carolina (2), Ohio (11), Oklahoma (1), Oregon (4), Pennsylvania (18), Tennessee (6), Texas (4), Utah (12), Virginia (9), Vermont (2), Washington (27), Wisconsin (24), Wyoming (3). At least 65 people had been hospitalized due to their Salmonella illnesses