A Hurley woman has filed a lawsuit against Villa Maria Health and Rehabilitation Center, claiming that she contracted a salmonella infection from food served by the center last year.
Helen Kolson, a resident of Villa Vista at the time, alleges in the suit that she was asked by Villa officials to sample food that been prepared there in order to provide a testimonial to other residents of her apartment building. The complaint alleges she "became seriously ill due to the fact that the meal contained salmonella and-or salmonella enteritidis." Kolson alleges the Villa was negligent in the improper selection, handling, preparation, use, storage, maintenance and delivery of the complimentary meal.
Villa officials said the matter was investigated by the health department and the Villa was found to be in compliance in its food preparation process. The incident was investigated by the Bureau of Quality Assurance of Rhinelander, Wis., said Iron County Health Department Director Noreen Gilbertson. She noted the health department does frequent inspections at the Villa.
A similar case was filed by Ellen Czerneski on Feb. 14. Czerneski resides in the same Taconite Street apartment structure as Kolson.