A lawsuit was filed today against ConAgra, the company whose Banquet and store-brand chicken and turkey pot pies were identified as the source of a nationwide Salmonella outbreak in September. The lawsuit was filed in Grand Traverse County Superior Court on behalf of Traverse City resident David Small.
According to the lawsuit, David Small ate a Banquet brand turkey pot pie on Saturday, September 24, 2007 and became ill with symptoms of Salmonella infection the following day. Mr. Small’s symptoms worsened over the next days, and he sought medical attention at Munson Medical Center on September 27, 2007. He was admitted and remained hospitalized until September 29. Mr. Small later learned that his stool specimen had tested positive for Salmonella serotype I 4,,12:i:-, the strain associated with the Banquet pot pie outbreak.
Mr. Small’s attorneys at Marler Clark have represented thousands of victims of foodborne illness outbreaks since the 1993 Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak. Since that time, the firm has represented victims of outbreaks traced to lettuce, sprouts, apple juice, ground beef, peanut butter, and other foods.